Sylvia Dimitrades Steen
Sylvia Dimitrades Steen has a long-standing commitment to people with disabilities, as well as an unmatchable love of animals. From 1954-1958, Ms. Steen studied Child Psychology and teaching methodologies for students with special needs at the University of Geneva. Sylvia:
- Started Theotokos in 1963, a non-profit organization for people with special needs. Theotokos is the largest educational centre for people with special needs in Greece, she serves on its board.
- Worked at the Maraslio Academy, training teachers in special education.
- Served as a board member of Melissa, an organization on Corfu for older children and adults with special needs.
- Is a founding member of Ελληνική Φιλοζωηκή Εταιρία (Greek Animal Welfare) and Κοινολογικός ΌμιλοςΕλλάδος (Greek Canine Society) which represents FCI in Greece. Serves as president of the Ark, a group that rehomes stray dogs of Corfu, and collaborates with the “Αλκυόνη“ bird center of Paros for the care and rehabilitation of wounded birds.
- Established world’s most comprehensive Skyrian rare horse breeding program.
- Founded and leads the SilvaProject. a non-profit organisation dedicated to preserving the Skyrian Horse, rescuing abused animals and specialising in therapeutic horse riding.
Download ABC Radio Podcast http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/2012/05/tsy_20120506_1005.mp3